National Legislation Supporting Breastfeeding
- U.S. Congress. (2010, March 23). Reasonable break time for nursing mothers. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, Section 4207. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- This is from the original Affordable Care Act bill.
Summary of National Legislation Supporting Breastfeeding
- U.S. Dept. of Labor. Fact Sheet:
- Break Time for Nursing Mothers under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (March 23, 2010): https://mnbfc.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/federal-fact-sheet.pdf
State Breastfeeding Laws
- State Breastfeeding Laws. (2019, April 4). National Conference of State Legislatures.
Minnesota Legislation Supporting Breastfeeding
- Workplace Support (MN Statute 181.939)
- Location for Breastfeeding (MN Statute 145.905)
- Indecent Exposure Exemption (MN Statute 617.23)
Summaries of Minnesota Legislation Concerning Pregnancy and Nursing Mothers
- Pregnancy Leave, Pregnancy Accommodations at Work, Nursing Mothers
- Legal Protection for Nursing Mothers in Minnesota:
Minnesota Proposed Legislation Supporting Human Milk Feeding and Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding disparities – study required – House File–1167
- “A bill for an act relating to health; requiring a study on breastfeeding disparities.”
- Breastfeeding disparities study and report requirement – Senate File 1383
- “A bill for an act relating to health; requiring a study on breastfeeding disparities.
- Insurance coverage of donated human breast milk required – House File 1859
- “A bill for an act relating to health insurance; requiring coverage for donated human breast milk; amending Minnesota Statutes 2018, section 256B.0625 . . . “
Breastfeed. Anytime. Anywhere.
Minnesota law makes it easy for women to breastfeed their babies Anytime, Anywhere, in public or private. Breastfeed—Anytime, Anywhere. All of us make breastfeeding easy when we promote breastfeeding as the norm.
Download, print, and distribute a card explaining the Minnesota law. The PDF is designed to print on two-sided printable business cards (e.g., Avery 8877), 10 to a sheet. Or you can print on card stock and cut to business card size.
Do It Yourself:
Print the card, as is, by PDF with the Minnesota Breastfeeding Coalition logo and website.
Or, use the card template in Word to personalize the card with your coalition’s logo and website.
Distribute the card far and wide . . .
Hand the card to employees, WIC clients, patients, breastfeeding coalition members, mothers, fathers, neighbors, restaurant owners, in public restrooms, at health fairs, at the park, at the pool, at community centers, as a World Breastfeeding Week activity. Carry it with you and give to women you see breastfeeding in public.
Everyone makes breastfeeding easy. Anytime. Anywhere.